The Tennessee Administrative Office of the Courts has released information about Tennessee personal injury and Tennessee wrongful death cases filed in Memphis and Shelby County, Tennessee for the year ended June 30, 2012.
Here is the data;
- Total personal injury and wrongful death cases filed in court: – 1768
- Total personal injury and wrongful death cases resolved in court – 1958
- Total number of cases going to trial – 79
- Total number of jury trials – 47
- Total number of non-jury trials – 32
- Total number of cases in which damages were awarded 50
- Total number of cases where damages awarded was between $1 and $99,999 – 35
- Total number of cases where damages awarded was between $100,000 and $999,99 – 11
- Total number of cases where damages awarded exceeded $1,000,000 – 4
- Total damages awarded in all cases – $40,443,910
- Average damages awarded – $808,878
These statistics show one of the great flaws of statistics. The total damages awarded figure includes an award of $20,000,000 that was significantly remitted by the trial judge. Thus, the average damages awarded" figure is skewed significantly. Also note that the twenty-nine (29) cases in which the plaintiff received no damages is not included in the "average."
An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you navigate your way through the complicated court system and can help you not only resolve your case but also help you avoid problems that can complicate your future access to health care.
If you need a Memphis or Shelby County, Tennessee injury or wrongful death lawyer call me for a free consultation. My toll-free number is 866-812-8787. You may also complete our Contact Form and we will call you back promptly.