Suing Local Governments in Car Accident Cases

I was in a car accident caused a guy driving a dump truck for Springfield (Robertson County), Tennessee public works department.  Can I sue the city and recover damages for the injuries I received?

Yes.  In Tennessee, local governments cannot be sued under many circumstances but they can be sued if an employee driving a vehicle on the business of the city (or county) causes an accident and there is property damage or personal injury as a result.

However, the damages in such a lawsuit are limited to no more than $300,000 for any one person injured or killed in the accident and no more than $700,000 total if multiple people are injured or killed.  Property damage claims are limited to $100,000.

Any such lawsuit must be filed within one year of the date of the accident.  Failure to file a lawsuit on time will result in a loss of your rights.


Contact Information