Limit on Lawsuit Against Local Government in Tennessee

My car got rear-ended by a careless police officer driving his patrol car.  He was flying – the impact drove the bumper of my car into what used to be the back seat.  I was badly hurt.  I have heard that I can’t sue the officer but I can sue the city he works for.  I have also heard that my right to sue the city is limited.  Are those things true?

Yes.  In Tennessee you cannot sue the officer but you can sue his employer.  However, the total amount of damages you can recover is $300,000.  This is true even if your medical bills and lost wages exceed this amount – the most you can recover under any circumstances is only $300,000.

Our firm represents people in claims against state and local governments.   We accept many cases on a contingent fee basis, which means that we charge no attorneys’ fee unless we are successful in our case.  Please feel free to call for a free consultation.

Contact Information