Medical Examination By Defense Doctor

I was in a car wreck and have filed a lawsuit.  I hurt my back.  Now the jerk that hit me and his insurance company want to have me examined by a doctor that they hire.  Can they do that?

If your medical well being is in question in a case the opposing party may request that you undergo a medical evaluation by a doctor of their choosing.   That doctor will offer his or her opinion about the nature and extent of your injuries and the impact of those injuries on your later life. That doctor may disagree with your doctor’s opinion as to the nature and extent of your injuries, and the jury will hear from both doctors at trial.  

Under certain occasions, the court may refuse to permit a defense medical examination.  An experienced personal injury lawyer is likely to know the circumstances under which a court will refuse a medical examination or prohibit a certain doctor from conducting the exam.

Contact Information