Lawsuit Against Tennessee City for Bad Driving By City Employee

Tennessee law provides that when a city employee negligently causes a car or truck accident while they are working for the city  the city is responsible for the harm caused.  Thus, the a lawsuit can be filed against the city (not against the driver) and damages for medical expenses, lost wages, pain, suffering and other losses can be recovered.  Click on the link for more information on the types of damages that can be recovered in a Tennessee personal injury case.  Click on the link for more information about wrongful death cases in Tennessee.

Tragically, the law limits the liability of any Tennessee city to $300,000 for any one person who is injured or killed as a result of the negligent driving by one of its employee’s while he or she is working for the city.  Thus, even if your medical expenses are $500,000, the law will not permit you to recover more than $300,000 from the city whose employee caused the accident.

A lawsuit against the city must be filed within one year of the date of the accident causing an injury or death.  Failure to file a lawsuit on time will result in the loss of your rights.


John Day represents personal injury victims and families of wrongful death victims. He is board-certified as a civil trial specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and, in fact, served as President of the organization. He is an elected member of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. His book, "Day on Torts: Leading Cases in Tennessee Tort Law," is used by judges and lawyers across Tennessee to further their understanding of personal injury and wrongful death law in Tennessee. In 2009, Best Lawyers named John "Best Personal Injury Lawyer" for Nashville; he was the first recipient of that award. Best Lawyers also named John as "Best Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Nashville" for 2010. John does not charge for an initial consultation and accepts personal injury and wrongful death cases on a contingent fee basis. You can reach him by telephone at 615.742.4880 or by email by clicking here. 

Contact Information