I Was Hit By A Police Car!

I was driving to work in Franklin, Tennessee.  A police car driven by an officer who was on-duty ran a red light and hit my car.  I had to go to the hospital in an ambulance and spent three days in the hospital.  Can I sue the police officer?

No, you cannot sue the police officer.  Tennessee law does not permit you to sue a government employee who negligently caused an automobile wreck while he or she was on-duty.

However, you can sue the governmental entity that employed  the police officer, and it is responsible for the harm caused by the police officer if he or she is found to be negligent.  There are special laws that limit the liability of governmental entities that cause harm to their citizens in automobile wrecks and other types of personal injury cases, but an experienced personal injury lawyer can guide you through this process.

John Day represents personal injury victims and families of wrongful death victims.  He is board-certified as a civil trial specialist by the National Board of Trial Advocacy and, in fact, served as President of the organization. He is an elected member of the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers.  His book, "Day on Torts:   Leading Cases in Tennessee Tort Law," is used by judges and lawyers across Tennessee to further their understanding of personal injury and wrongful death law in Tennessee.  In 2009, Best Lawyers named John "Best Personal Injury Lawyer" for Nashville; he was the first recipient of that award. Best Lawyers also  named John as "Best Medical Malpractice Lawyer in Nashville" for 2010.   John does not charge for an initial consultation and accepts personal injury and wrongful death cases on a contingent  fee basis.  You can reach him by telephone at 615.742.4880 or by email by clicking here.

Contact Information