Can A Parent of an Adult Child File a Personal Injury Case for the Adult Child?

My 22-year old son was hurt in a car wreck.  Can I file a lawsuit for him? 

No, unless he is so severely injured or suffers from some type of disability that he is deemed incompetent.  If he is incompetent, there are formal proceedings which must be filed to have him declared incompetent in the eyes of the law.  If that happens, a conservator will be appointed and he or she will have the power to file or defend a lawsuit.  If you are appointed the conservator, you would have that right.

However, if your son is competent, he is the only one who can file suit on his behalf.  You can help him find a lawyer and can give him assistance in preparing the case, but the decision to file and the right to file is his and his alone.

Contact Information