Am I Entitled to A Rental Car if My Car is Totaled in a Wreck?

I was in a wreck and my car was totaled.  Does the at-fault driver’s insurance company have to rent me a different vehicle?

Legally, no but practically that frequently occurs. Technically, in Tennessee the person who caused the wreck must pay for “loss of use” of your car. That loss is often measured by the cost of renting a replacement vehicle.

However, do not go out to a big-name car rental company and rent a replacement car and except the other driver’s insurance company to pay for it. Those companies often have contracts with lesser-known rental companies that charge less for rental cars. So, make sure you have a clear understanding with the other driver’s insurance company about what car you can rent and who will pay for it before you rent a replacement vehicle.   Better yet, let your lawyer help you with this issue. 

Your may also have replacement car coverage on your insurance policy.

Contact Information