Liability for Injuries Caused by Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Campers and RVs

The Tennessee General Assembly has passed a law mandating that all rental campers and motor homes include a functioning carbon monoxide detector.  The failure to do so gives rise to an action for damages, including the recovery of attorney’s fees.

The law was sponsored by Senator Tim Barnes of Clarksville, Tennessee.  Clarksville was the site of a horrific incident on September 18, 2011 where five people died of carbon monoxide poisoning.  The victims were attending a function held by Bikers Who Care and thus the new law is called the "The BWC 5 Act" in honor of those who died.  The recreational vehicles involved did not have functioning carbon monoxide detectors. 

Carbon monoxide is a deadly gas.  Because it is odorless, colorless, and tasteless, the gas is very difficult to detect.  It is a product of gasoline-powered tools, heaters, generators and cooking equipment.  Carbon monoxide detectors are used to identify and warn about the presence of this toxic gas.

The new law is effective Jul 1, 2012.

Our Tennessee personal injury law firm investigates personal injuries and wrongful death arising from carbon monoxide poisoning.  Please call us at 866-812-8787  or fill out the contact form at the right for a free, no obligation consultation.

Contact Information