Fires and Medical Oxygen: 10 Things You Can Do To Protect Yourself

According to data published by the Tennessee Fire Incident Reporting System, in the past five years, seven people have lost their lives due to fires caused by medical oxygen. Another nine people were injured and the property damage associated with these fires exceeds $710,000.00. 

Oxygen-rich environments present a very real fire threat. But, there are steps you can take to prevent a serious accident:

1. Keep oxygen canisters at least 5 to 10 feet away from ignition sources such as candles, fireplaces, stoves, etc. 

2. Post warning signs in every room where oxygen is used.

3. Do not smoke in a home or car if oxygen is present.

4. Do not use Vaseline, oil or other petroleum-based products on your face or upper chest in an oxygen-rich environment as these materials burn very quickly. 

5. As always, check your smoke detectors to ensure they are working properly and change your batteries regularly.

6. Have an exit strategy in place in the event a fire does occur.

7. If your oxygen equipment is not working properly, immediately contact your service provider and do not attempt to repair it yourself.

8. Alert your local fire department to the fact that oxygen is in use in your home.

9. Do not use electric razors, electric blankets, toys with electric motors, etc. while using oxygen as sparks might ignite.

10. Have fire extinguishers readily available in rooms where oxygen is used.

Burn injuries are some of the most horrific cases we see so protect yourself and your family. If you would like to discuss a burn case with one of our award-winning lawyers, please contact us anytime by calling 615-742-4880 or toll-free at 866-812-8787 or simply fill out this form.  We represent burn victims on a contingency basis, which means we only get paid if we win the case. And, as always, the initial consultation is free.

Contact Information