Can I Recover Lost Wages When I Failed to File My Tax Returns?

I haven't filed tax returns in over filed years - I have been working and making money but I just didn't get around to filing the returns.  I was hurt in a wreck and missed four weeks of work.  

You might, but if you push too hard you may find yourself in the situation where the IRS finds out that you have not filed tax returns and you may face criminal and civil penalties.   Also, if the jury finds out that you have not been filing tax returns and paying taxes as you should it may hurt your case.

Defendants in cases frequently ask for income tax returns to prove loss of earnings claims, and it your income is not reported it makes it very difficult to recover it.  This is often a problem in cases involving small business owners, who all too often understate their income and overstate their expenses in an effort to reduce their taxes.  Doing so is not only illegal but also hurts your ability to prove your true damages in a personal injury or wrongful death case.

This is yet another reason to fulfill your duty to our country and file tax returns and pay the taxes you owe.  None of us like to pay taxes, but the way to have your voice heard on that issue is through the ballot box, not cheating on your taxes.  To be sure, take legitimate deductions and seek tax advise as appropriate, but pay what you owe.

If you get hurt to the extent you are losing income but you have not filed returns or paid taxes as required by law, tell your lawyer about it as soon as possible.   An experienced personal injury lawyer can help you with this issue.

Trackbacks (0) Links to blogs that reference this article Trackback URL
Comments (0) Read through and enter the discussion with the form at the end
Post A Comment / Question Use this form to add a comment to this entry.

Remember personal info?
Send To A Friend Use this form to send this entry to a friend via email.

Ask A Question Case Evaluation
Twitter Facebook
About John A. Day

I am a fifty-three year old lawyer who is fascinated by the law of torts. I have studied the field for over twenty-nine years. I represent plaintiffs in personal injury and wrongful death cases.

Read More »